Alternative Treatment Options for Acne
The most common skin condition that Dr. Shehla Ebrahim, our experienced physician, sees is “acne”. For many patients, this is a chronic condition that has plagued them for years, and they have tried many different therapies. One of the most challenging factors in treating acne is that it is divided into many clinical categories: female or male, adolescent or adult, and hormonal or pregnancy.
Long-term acne patients experience difficulties with traditional treatments: unpleasant side effects from long-term oral therapies, irritation from topical treatments, and antibiotic resistance. There is a growing interest in safe, efficacious, and tolerable alternative therapies.
In the last 10 years, there has been much research pointing to the causes of acne, including:
• An inflammatory state is present in the skin long before the clinical formation of an acne lesion. These lesions can be a non-inflammatory comedone or inflammatory papule, pustule, or nodule.
• Additionally, oxidative stress may contribute to the early formation
Clinical evidence suggests that antioxidants can be effective in healing acne. Some examples include:
• Vitamin C or ascorbic acid has been proven to be effective in reducing acne lesions alone and in combination with a topical retinoid. Because Vitamin C is so unstable, Dr. Ebrahim suggests using a formulation that is recommended by a medical doctor.
• Vitamin B or niacinamide has proven to work equally well as Clindamycin.
• Tea Tree Oil is known as a topical antimicrobial agent. The antiseptic properties are comparable to benzoyl peroxide; however, it may cause irritation or an allergic reaction in some people.
• Green tea used topically can decrease the sebum production.
• Dairy, carbohydrates, and a high-glycemic diet may exacerbate acne.
• Probiotics mitigate the adverse effects of long-term antibiotic therapy and decrease the release of inflammatory .
If you are frustrated with long-term acne, ask your family physician for a referral to Dr. Ebrahim. Afterglow carries advanced professional skin care products dedicated to acneic skin. 100% satisfaction guarantee on all products sold in the clinic. Contact us today for more information.