There are many types of acne and acne treatments. The most common type of acne is acne vulgaris. Just beneath the surface of the skin lie hundreds of tiny glands called sebaceous glands. Their function is to collect and excrete the oily substance called sebum to keep the skin healthy. The tiny pathway for the sebum to escape often becomes clogged, and a bacterium called propionibacterium acne or p. acne grows inside. In a short time, the area swells and forms a pimple on the skin.
What Afterglow can do for your acne
Your acne will be evaluated by Dr Shehla Ebrahim, who will then recommend an individualized regime involving a treatment or combination of treatments.
There are a variety of treatments for controlling moderate acne, including creams, washes and medications. If your moderate case of acne is not responding to medications, or other conventional treatments, options for treatment include:
Blue Light Therapy for Acne
- Blue light therapy is a non-invasive therapy during which patients are exposed to a light source (high-intensity, narrow band blue-light) in order to treat mild to moderate acne.
- Blue-light does not contain ultraviolet light.
- Blue light therapy is extremely safe and affects problematic areas only.
- Blue light therapy is a natural treatment choice as well as a painless one.
Photodynamic Therapy (PDT) for Acne
PDT is a non-invasive treatment combining light and a special light-activated solution. The procedure involves applying the light activated solution to the area to be treated. The solution causes the skin to become more receptive to the light therapy.
A specific wavelength light is used to activate the solution. Targeted cells are destroyed as well as acne activity.
Patients will experience:
- Increased smoothness and textural improvement
- Pore minimization
- Reduction in size and activity of sebaceous glands (reduces skin oiliness)
- Reduction of bacteria in the hair follicles
Silk Peel™ Microdermabrasion
Afterglow's Microdermabrasion with Silk Peel™ Infusion is a non-invasive technique that works on the top layer of the skin (the epidermis). The procedure exfoliates the skin by essentially removing dead skin cells, clearing clogged pores of oil and dirt, and killing bacteria.
The technology is painless and safe, and does not require a topical anaesthetic. It is suitable for all skin types and colors. Afterglow's state-of-the-art equipment is a technological advancement that is not abrasive and works well on sensitive or problematic skin. It does not use messy and harsh crystals or other particulates.
- The technology is gentle enough for all skin types, including sensitive, rosacea and acneic skin.
- The procedure delivers an even exfoliation.
- The moisturizing function, specific to this technology, boosts hydration levels and leaves the skin soft and supple.
The Vitalize Peel is a unique blend of retinoic acid, alpha-hydroxy acids, resorcinol and other active cosmeceutical ingredients, creating one of the safest, strongest medical peels for treating acne. Extensive peeling begins within 48 hours and begins the process of skin rejuvenation. The Vitalize Peel can be repeated at three-week intervals for maximum benefits and is recommended as a great way to jump-start a healthy skin care routine.
A skin care regime will be recommended by the physician (most likely as part of a comprehensive skincare protocol) combination with other treatments.
FOR MORE INFORMATION AND TO BOOK AN APPOINTMENT PLEASE VISIT OUR SISTER CLINIC, THE ACNE CLINIC, BY CLICKING HERE.