Treating Acne Scars
Our experienced physician, Dr. Shehla Ebrahim, takes a multi-disciplinary approach to treating acne scars. A scar is made of up connective tissue, which are gristle-like fibres located in the skin that hold the damaged area closed.
In more than a decade of practice she has found that even on the same person there are different types of scars:
- Tough and rigid
- Soft and breaking down
- Distended or inverted
Generally scars are categorized into 3 general groups:
- Ice pick or pitted scars are narrow and deep
- Boxcar scars have a flat base shaped like a “U,” and are round, polygonal, or linear at the skin surface
- Rolling scars are like hills and valleys, gentle and undulating
Dr. Ebrahim invites clients to visit her for a complimentary consultation to review their acne scars and discuss their treatment goals. Acne scarring is a complex problem and usually requires a few different procedures.
As a family physician with a special interest in dermatology she has many treatments and procedures available. Treatments include:
- Ablative laser resurfacing is considered the gold standard for pitted scars
- Non-ablative resurfacing with laser and lights
- ProFractional™ resurfacing
- Dermal fillers
- Chemical peels
- Prescriptions for specialized compounds
Dr. Ebrahim has achieved great results for many of her clients. Make an appointment with her today and learn about the treatment options that are right for you.