We are thrilled to announce the opening of our third location, THE Acne Clinic, dedicated to the management and treatment of Acne.
“THE Acne Clinic offers a variety of acne treatments, including the LumiCleanse technology, which is exclusive to THE Acne clinic in Western Canada. They believe in a multi-step approach, customizing treatment plans to the individual.”
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR FACEBOOK PAGE AND LIKE TO SUBSCRIBE
CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE & TO BOOK A COMPLIMENTARY ACNE CONSULTATION
With 2010 already in full swing, a lot of our “of a certain age” clients are wondering how to improve their skin this year. So here are ten tips to help your body’s largest organ look and act more youthful:
1. Follow a skincare regime that is appropriate for your “stage” in life. Today’s professional skincare products are filled with active ingredients that, applied regularly, actually produce a beneficial effect, helping the ski’s cells to behave in a more youthful fashion. Talk to Afterglow staff about Afterglow’s own line of professional products to find a regimen that is tailored to you.
2. Need we say it again? Use your sunscreen every day and —just as importantly—make sure it is marked “broad spectrum.” The SPF rating applies only to UVB rays, however, UVA light is far more damaging to the skin in the long run. This is because it is all around us, even on a dull day, and can pass through a glass window pane. Broad spectrum sunscreens contain blocks against UVA light, protecting your skin from cumulative damage.
3. Get enough sleep. Although skin repair is an ongoing process, lack of sleep causes an increase in the stress hormone cortisol and this can slow the production of collagen. Between 7 and 8 hours a night is the appropriate amount of shut-eye for that youthful bloom.
4. Get enough exercise. By increasing blood flow, physical activity will bring blood and nutrients to the surface of your skin, encouraging a healthy glow.
5. Don’t smoke. Smoking damages the skin. Period. Not only will you develop dynamic wrinkles from all that puffing and squinting, but the blood vessels in the surface of your skin will constrict, resulting in a dull pallor.
6. Eat more fruits and veggies. Their antioxidants are good for your whole body. Fruits and veggies are also hydrating.
7. If you are past menopause, the reduced estrogen in your body will gradually cause breakdown of collagen and elastin, resulting in a thin, sagging appearance. Consider Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT). Dr. Ebrahim will be able to advise you on BHRT so you may wish to set up an appointment with her.
8. Treatment with the Pro-Fractional laser has been shown to improve the tone and texture of aging skin. You may also wish to discuss this with the staff of Afterglow.
9. Don’t forget to exfoliate. Exfoliating the outer layer of skin (epidermis) encourages cell renewal in the deeper layers of the skin. Afterglow offers a microdermabrasion treatment that will polish and refine your skin in a mere 20 minutes. It’s a great way to refresh your look for the coming year!
10. Last, but not least, hydrate! Drink lots of pure water or—if you can afford the sugar content—juices. Foods containing Omega-3 fatty acids (walnuts, flax oil, flax seed, salmon, mackerel, sardines), also help keep water in the skin. At night, when skin loses moisture, use a humidifier in your bedroom and wake up to a plumper, more youthful-looking skin.
This innovative procedure gently exfoliates your skin and infuses it with customized solutions to bring out youthful glow and clarity. If you have a skin condition such as melasma, acne, sun damage or dryness, your skin can be treated with highly effective ingredients that address the specific condition.
For example, Lumixyl™ (a safe lightening agent) is used to treat melasma, vitamic C and peptides are helpful for a dry and/or aging skin, and acne is treated using glycolics. All skin benefits from the use of vitamin C and moisturizing agents.
Here are some of the questions commonly asked about SILKPEEL™:
Q. What exactly is SILKPEEL™?
A. SILKPEEL’s™ “wet abrasion” exfoliates the skin and simultaneously infuses a topical dermaceutical, addressing your specific skin condition and stimulating new cell growth to give your skin the revitalization you want.
Q. Is it Safe?
A. Yes. SILKPEEL™ is a safe, comfortable treatment. You are no longer exposed to the hazards of particulate dermabrasion with SILKPEEL’s™ crystal-free technology.
Q. How long does the procedure take?
A. Procedures typically last about 20 minutes. Since the SILKPEEL™ delivers a dermaceutical during treatment, your post-treatment protocol is quick and easy.
Q. Will there be any pain or discomfort?
A. The exfoliation may cause a mild tightening of the skin. Combined with the cool, moisturizing effect of the topicals, your skin will feel healthy and smooth.
Q. What will my skin look like after a treatment?
A. Your skin will have an immediate, radiant glow that leaves you looking healthy and renewed.
Q. Will I miss work or have to alter my social schedule?
A. SILKPEEL™ is considered a “lunch hour” procedure so you can promptly return to your normal activities.
Q. What do I need to do after a treatment?
A. Dr. Ebrahim or a member of Afterglow’s professional skincare team will customize a post-care regimen which may include moisturizers, cleansers, serums and sunscreens to enhance and maintain results.
Q. Do I have to do anything before a treatment?
A. Not normally. The exception is when Dr. Ebrahim recommends Lumixyl™ (a skin-lightening peptide) as part of your customized treatment for melasma or hyperpigmentation. In this case, you will be requested to apply Lumixyl™ twice a week for two weeks, followed by a SILKPEEL™ dermal infusion every two weeks for a period of 3 months.
Q. How long does it take to see results?
You will enjoy visible results after the first treatment and will achieve optimal results after 4 – 6 treatments spaced 7 to 10 days apart, supplemented by a daily post-care routine. A monthly maintenance treatment will help your skin stay healthy.
SILKPEEL™ and Melasma
If you wish to address melasma or hyperpigmentation of the skin (including “age spots”), Lumixyl™ will be infused into your skin. Lumixyl™ is a skin-lightening peptide that improves the appearance of mild to moderate hyperpigmentation.
Lumixyl™ works by inhibiting the enzyme that causes cells in the skin to produce dark pigment (melanin). One of the benefits of using Lumixyl™ over the traditional hydroquinone in the treatment of melasma/hyperpigmentation is that it does not cause hypopigmentation (lighter patches of skin) in darker skin types.
Combined therapy with SILKPEEL™ and Lumixyl™ provides simultaneous exfoliation and delivery of Lumixyl™ deep into the epidermis. Results are optimized and maintained by the post-treatment home use of Lumixyl™ topical brightening cream twice daily.
To learn more about about SILKPEEL™ DermalInfusion™ or treatment for melasma/hyperpigmentation, or if you have any questions, please call us at Afterglow…